2011 Ecocity World Summit in Montreal, Canada
The 1500 participants at this conference came from 280 cities in 72 countries around the world. The 20 papers presented here were selected from among more than 300 conference presentations.
The papers are divided into five categories:
1. INCLUDING all sectors of society in the political, social and economic life of the city.
2. SHAPING urban form to enhance the ecological and social functioning of cities.
3. INTEGRATING natural and human systems in cities in sustainable and regenerative ways.
4. UNDERSTANDING the art and science of ecocities to provide knowledge, tools, and assessment methods.
5. GETTING THERE refers to the all-important question of how to implement ecocities on the ground.
Editorial Team: The editors for this round of conference papers were David Brown (david.brown[at]mcgill.ca), Jayne Engle-Warnick, and Ray Tomalty (ray.tomalty[at]mcgill.ca), all associated with the School of Urban Planning at McGill University in Montreal.